Sunday, November 10, 2013

#1,120: Mustardy Kale Salad With Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple

 Obviously kale is not only in season, but it's also something I've had in my house a lot lately since it is showing up in several recipes this weekend alone!  That's okay because kale is so good for you!  For me, I need to have a significant amount of salad dressing on it though to help cut the bitterness of it.  And I eat with a lot of other ingredients too.  It's still is good though!  I loved this recipe.  I especially loved the kale and the roasted sweet potatoes!  Delish!  2 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
6 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 bunches Tuscan kale or 1 medium bunch curly kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 10 cups)
1 Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped roasted almonds (I used cashews)
4 ounces shaved pecorino (I omitted)

Heat oven to 400° F. Toss the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Roast, rotating the sheets and tossing the potatoes halfway through, until lightly browned and tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.                                 

Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, the remaining 4 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.                                 
Add the kale and rub together with clean hands to tenderize and coat the leaves. Add the apple, almonds, and sweet potatoes and toss to combine. Serve topped with the pecorino.

No comments:

Post a Comment