Sunday, November 10, 2013

#1,121: Chicken Tamale Casserole


This recipe got very mixed reviews in our house.  Allison and I both really enjoyed it, Matthew would only eat it if he was sitting on my lap, and both Chloe and Brian asked not to have it again.  Unfortunately that means this is a meal I will not make for our family again, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it for yours.  I loved this!  It was so good with the cornbread and the green enchilada sauce.  It was a little spicy though so I had to serve it with sour cream to cut down on the heat and I didn't even add in the mild green chilies.  So if you are a family that doesn't like much spice, this might be too much for you.  I enjoyed it though!

1 cup Mexican blend cheese, divided (Sadly I only had mozzarella so that's what I used)
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained (I omitted)
Cooking spray
1 (10-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
 
Combine 1/4 cup cheese, milk, egg, cumin, red pepper, corn, muffin mix and green chiles in a large bowl, stirring just until moist.  Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until set.
 
Pierce the entire surface liberally with a fork. Pour the entire can of enchilada sauce over the top and top with chicken.  Cover with the rest of your cheese (3/4 cup). Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment