Monday, August 27, 2018

#2,781: Asian Inspired Pork Bowls


I found a simple recipe to make Asian pork bowls and figured I'd could make it a little healthier (and heartier) by adding in some grated carrots, edamame, and riced cauliflower.  Although mine did not caramelize as much as the original recipe did, I still really enjoyed this and ended eating it for 2 or 3 days for my lunch.  This would be good served over white or brown rice, but I chose not to.  I think this would be great in a lettuce wrap too!  The cucumber on top gives it a nice crunch/texture, but some Chinese noodles would be good too! 


1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 tsp grated ginger
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 birds eye or Thai chili, deseeded and finely chopped (I used jalapeno)
1 lb ground pork
5 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce (I used more like 1 ½ tbsp….fish sauce is strong in my opinion)
1 green onion, sliced
I also added 1 finely grated carrot, about 1 cup of thawed edamame, and about 1 ½ cups of riced cauliflower

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add the onion, ginger, garlic and chili and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the ground pork and cook for 7 minutes or so until cooked through, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.

Add the sugar and fish sauce. Stir, then leave it to cook without touching until all the juices cook out and the pork starts caramelized - about 2 minutes. Then stir it and leave it again, without stirring, for around 30 seconds to get more caramelization. Repeat twice more until caramelized to your taste. (No matter how long I let this cook it would not get super caramelized). 

Add in the grated carrot, edamamde, and riced cauliflower. Stir well to combine. 
Serve over rice if desired, and garnish with sliced green onion and cucumber (if desired). 


No comments:

Post a Comment