Monday, August 13, 2018

#2,677: Rhubarb Banana Muffins

I was trying to clean out and arrange my freezer a little bit and I found some chopped rhubarb that I wanted to use up.  We also had quite a few bananas browning on our counter (why do I keep buying them?!), so I figured I'd find a recipe to use both.  Plus, rhubarb is such as different flavor, I wasn't sure my kids would like just rhubarb muffins. I added a little bit of mini chocolate chips to sweeten the deal for them (no pun intended!).  

They LOVED these.  They were arguing over who got the last one and kept asking how many they could have for breakfast (uh, 2 is PLENTY kids!).  I don't know how often I'll have rhubarb in my house, but these were definitely worth making with the leftovers that I did have.  

PS...my rhubarb was chopped fairly small, but I was afraid it would be too big for my kids to want to pick out, so I threw the piece (still frozen) into my mini food processor and gave it a few good whirls to chop up even more.  It was perfect!  And yes, I threw the frozen rhubarb right into the batter, no need to defrost. 


⅔ cup sugar
½ cup oil
2 eggs
⅔ cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium sized bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb 
I also added about 1/3 c mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease cups.
In medium bowl, whisk sugar, oil, eggs, bananas and vanilla until well blended. Set aside.

In large bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients.  Gently fold in rhubarb and chocolate chips.

Add batter to muffin cups, filling about 2/3 of the way full.

Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Move muffins to wire rack to cool.

I refrigerated our muffins since we ate them so quickly, but these could easily be frozen too for a quick grab-and-go breakfast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment