Tuesday, August 14, 2018

#2,678: Low-Carb Cheesy Sausage Puffs


These little sausage puffs are so simple to make, and are a perfect make-ahead breakfast for on-the-go/back-to-school meals!  I whipped these up one night for breakfast the next day, and after inhaling 3, I knew I had to put the rest right into the freezer so I wouldn't eat the rest!  I'll be honest, I didn't even let my kids have any, I wanted to save them for myself.  I used pork sausage, but you could use ground Italian sausage and it would give it a totally different flavor.  You could also change it up by the cheese you use as well.  I personally used a mild cheddar because that's what I had on hand, but I'm sure I'll make these with mozzarella at some point, since we always seem to have that on hand.   


1 pound pork sausage, browned and drained (I like mild, but if you prefer heat, grab a hot sausage instead)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 eggs
4.5 tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 tbsp sour cream
1/3 cup (heaping) coconut flour 
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder 

Melt the butter, and then place it in the refrigerator to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper. (I did not line my baking sheet, I just sprayed it with a little non-stick spray)

Brown and drain the sausage, chopping it into small chunks; set aside.

In a medium to large size bowl, combine the melted and cooled butter, eggs, sour cream, salt and garlic. I also added some black pepper.  Whisk together.

Add the coconut flour (slightly more than 1/3 cup) and baking powder to the mixture and whisk until well combined.  Stir in the browned sausage and cheese.

Roll or drop batter into 1 inch balls onto your lined baking sheet, spaced about 1/2 inch apart.  (I used a small cookie scoop and then just rolled them into little balls.  Mine were pretty close together on the baking sheet because I knew they wouldn't spread out). 




Bake for 14-18 minutes or until slightly browned. (I flipped mine half way through) Enjoy immediately, and store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.  These can also be frozen.  Just let thaw in the fridge overnight or pop them into the microwave for about 15 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment