Saturday, December 2, 2017

#2,025: Chocolate Avocado Banana Bread


My brother's girlfriend, Jess, brought this recipe to Thanksgiving last weekend and I'll admit, the huge chunks of chocolate chips caught my eye right away.  As you know from my posts (especially my more recent ones), we make banana bread often in this house, and I am always looking for ways to sneak some healthy fruits and veggies into my kids' meals.  So when she said this recipe had avocado in it, I was super excited.  I had each of my kids try it, and no one knew it had avocado in it, and all 3 asked for more.  So I knew this had to go on my meal?breakfast list for this week.

1/2 of a medium, ripe avocado, cubed
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large ripe bananas, sliced
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (make sure to use regular and not dutch processed)
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the interior of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
In a blender or food processor, add avocado, egg, vanilla and bananas. Blend until smooth.
Add in flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Blend or pulse until batter is smooth. This should only take a few seconds. You may need to use a spatula to scrape the sides or the bottom to make sure all the flour gets mixed with the batter.

Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle surface evenly with chocolate chips so that it covers most of the surface. Bake for about 50 minutes. The top of the loaf should bounce back if pressure is applied and a toothpick inserted should come out clean (except for any melted chocolate that might get on it). Allow bread to cool slightly before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment