Sunday, December 10, 2017

#2,037: Squash, Kale, Sausage Inspired Bowls

So I originally found a recipe for Stuffed Spaghetti Squash in a recent issue of taste of home, but I decided to change it up based on the ingredients I had on hand. Actually my only substitution was going to be to use sausage instead of ground beef, but when I picked up my grocery order, there was a butternut squash instead of a spaghetti squash.  And when I went to make it, I realized I didn't have hot sauce, so I figured I couldn't post this as an original recipe review.  I'm still interested in trying it at some point though. 
I really, really, really enjoyed this meal!  It was hearty, filling, and healthy.  I think this would be good with some roasted cauliflower in it too! 

1 medium spaghetti squash (I used a butternut squash, cubed)
1 cup water (I omitted)
3/4 pound lean ground beef (I used bulk pork sausage)
1/2 cup chopped red onion (I used a yellow onion)
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 to 3 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce (I used a few dashes of red pepper flakes)
4 small garlic cloves, minced
1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chopped fresh kale
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

I skipped this step and just roasted my butternut squash cubes with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, until it was soft and to my liking).  Trim ends of squash and halve lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on the trivet in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Add water to cooker. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select steam setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 7 minutes. When squash is finished cooking, quickly release pressure according to the manufacturer's directions. Set squash aside; remove water from cooker.

In a large skillet, crumble beef (I used pork sausage) and cook with onion over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes; drain. Add mustard, hot sauce and garlic; cook 1 minute more. Stir in black beans and kale; cook just until wilted, 2-3 minutes.


Using a fork, separate strands of spaghetti squash; combine with meat mixture. Dollop servings with Greek yogurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment