Wednesday, March 28, 2012

#517: Sesame Shirataki Noodles


Now that Baby Matthew is here I'm looking for healthier meals and snacks to make.  I'm trying to love shirataki noodles because they are extremely low calorie (and made of tofu).  An entire bag of noodles is 40 calories.  You can't beat that.  I found a website that has a TON of shirataki noodle recipes and decided to try this one first.

Good news, I didn't hate this.  Bad news, I didn't love this.  The taste is good, it's the texture that is hard to get past.  It's got a big chewy bite to it.  The grocery store closest to us only sells the fettuccine noodles so I'm hoping if I can find the spaghetti type noodles the consistency will be easier to eat.  The sauce itself for this recipe is fantastic.  Just got to get past the texture of the "noodles."

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce (I omitted)
2 cups julienned cooked chicken (I omitted)
3 carrots, shredded
1 1/2 sliced green onions  (I omitted)
2-8 ounce packages Shirataki Noodles
1/2 cup chicken broth, heated  (I omitted)
Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, and red pepper sauce in a serving bowl.  Add the chicken, carrots and green onions. (I sauteed the carrots with some diced bell pepper).
Drain the Shirataki Noodles. Rinse under hot water for 2-3 minutes. Rinse well. Place on paper towels to dry. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth. Toss sauce with the hot pasta.

I topped mine with sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment