Saturday, March 3, 2012

#504: Quinoa Pizza Bites


I've been dying to make these for about 2 weeks now, ever since I saw them on a friend's Pinterest Board.  I didn't have quinoa in the house, so it got bumped back.  Then Meijer didn't have any fresh basil and I really didn't feel like running around to another grocery store, so it got bumped back again.  Well, I'm not bumping this recipe any more! 

These really need to be packed down and cooked thoroughly or they fall apart when you try to get them out of the muffin cups (as you can tell by some in the photo).  I also found it needed to be cooked for at least 20 minutes...or at least mine did. 

I made some with pepperoni and some without.  Allison and Chloe loved the ones without the pepperoni best (and I really didn't think they would want to even try them), although they did eat both kinds.

Here's the bad news...there are going to be NONE left to take for lunches this week. 

**Update: I HATE cleaning out mini muffin tins, so I made a second batch of this in a 9x13 pan and just cut it into little squares.  Worked just as well and SO much easier to clean up!

2 cups cooked quinoa

2 large eggs
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 cup chopped pepperoni slices (1/2 of a 7 oz bag)
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried crushed oregano
pizza sauce for dipping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.  Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment