Thursday, March 22, 2012

#513: Bibb and Radish Salad with Buttermilk Dressing


I found this recipe in one of my Real Simple Magazines.  I've had it bookmarked for a while because I was always missing one ingredient or another.  But since it is so simple, I figured it would be a great addition to my lunch or dinner this week. 

I was a little leery of the radishes in this dish.  I like radishes but usually eat them roasted and not fresh.  However, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this!  I will be making it for lunch or dinner again tomorrow. 

The only thing you need to make sure to do is make the salad and the dressing ahead of time so it can chill in the fridge (just don't pour the dressing over the lettuce or it will get soggy).  I thought the salad was a little too warm for my liking, but if it would have been cold it would have been fantastic. 

4 ounces (2 cups) country bread, cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces (I used store-bought croutons)

1 tablespoon olive oil (I omitted)
kosher salt and black pepper (I omitted)
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 head Bibb or Boston lettuce, torn (about 6 cups)
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced (I omitted)
I also added real bacon bits and some shelled edamame to mine


If making real croutons: Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with the oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake, tossing once, until golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool.                   


In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the lettuce, radishes, shallot, and croutons and toss to coat.                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment