Tuesday, September 25, 2018

#2,798: Pineapple Coconut Rice

This recipe went well with the Hawaiian Chicken sandwiches from a few days ago.  Although my family wasn't a fan of this recipe (big babies), I certainly was.  This is the second time I've tried making coconut rice and the pineapple was exactly what it needed...and it pulled together the pineapple from the Hawaiian chicken nicely too!  This was really easy to throw together.  I liked it topped with both green onion (pictured) AND some slivered almond. 

I did not follow the instructions on how to cook the rice using the original recipe below, but followed the instructions on the bag of rice I used.  It needed A LOT more cooking liquid though so I had to keep adding water until the rice was soft and fully cooked.  The instructions below were so much different than the directions on the bag, I figured I was safer using the bag instructions.  I should have known to add more liquid/water right away based on the instruction on the rice.  It's ok though...it all tasted good in the end. 



2 cups jasmine rice
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 cup diced scallions
Optional toppings: macadamia nuts, almonds, toasted coconut flakes

Rinse the rice several times until the water runs clear. Drain the rice. (At this point, I made mine in a rice cooker. If you don’t have one, here’s the stove top method):

In a medium pot, over high heat, add the rice, broth, and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover with tight fitting lid; let cook for 20 minutes. Turn off heat, and without opening the lid, let it sit for another 10 minutes to finish steaming.

Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the pineapple, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and scallions.

Top with any of the other recommended toppings. Drizzle a touch more soy sauce, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment