Friday, October 13, 2017

#2,008: Rigatoni with Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts and Bacon


I love brussel sprouts, bacon, and butternut squash.  The three are such a perfect fall combo!  So when I found a recipe that adds it to some pasta, I figured it was definitely worth trying.  I had a bag of frozen butternut squash that I wasnt' sure what to do with, so I thought I'd try it along with this recipe.  WRONG move.  The squash was so soft and mushy, you definitely want to make this with fresh squash.  Lesson learned (although as soon as I threw it in the pan I figured I had made a mistake). 

Although the squash was too soft, it was still pretty good.  I would try making this again (of course with fresh squash) and giving this recipe a second try.  If you try it (and I hope you do!), let me know what you think of it.  

12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed
Kosher salt
12 ounces rigatoni
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
4 cups diced peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
6 scallions, sliced
Freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup grated parmesan and/or pecorino romano cheese

Tear off and reserve the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts, then chop the rest. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the chopped Brussels sprouts and their leaves during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve 11/2 cups cooking water, then drain.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in the skillet.

Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, then add the squash, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the squash is lightly golden around the edges, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the reserved cooking water, cover and simmer until the squash is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.

Add the pasta, Brussels sprouts, bacon, scallions, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 cup cooking water to the skillet; toss until coated, adding the remaining cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with the parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment