Thursday, February 5, 2015

TBT: Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

In honor of Allison's 8th birthday this past weekend, I thought I would bring back this recipe this week since it is not only one of her favorites, but one she requested for her birthday dinner.  It may not be the healthiest recipe out there, but it sure is good!!

Original post from January 2013:
This picture does not do this meal justice.  This was the best chicken I think I've ever made.  EVER.  Oh my goodness was this fantastic.  It was so good the girls and I were fighting for the last piece.  You know how people joke that there is something in Chinese food that makes you want to eat it and eat it and eat it...It's the cornstarch.  It has to be, because this recipe was the exact same way.  This isn't the super healthiest of recipes because of the sweet and sour sauce, but I cut down the amount of sugar we used to make it a little better for us.  

3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper 
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten (I used egg substitute) 
1/4 cup canola oil

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees (I baked ours at 385 degrees). Cut your chicken into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken (turn to coat). Bake for one hour (I baked for about 45 minutes) and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment