Thursday, February 12, 2015

#1,453: Funfetti Whoopie Pies



Allison chose this dessert for her birthday instead of a traditional cake.  I gave her the run of pinterest and told her to pick out anything she wanted me to make.  This is what she chose!  :)  The girls were on top of me practically as I made these begging to eat both the cookie batter and the frosting filling, complimenting me on my cooking all the way hoping it would earn them brownie points and I'd give them a sneak/taste.  It worked.  :)

Both girls thought that I was making an actual "pie" and I had a hard time explaining that these are actually cookies.  Whatever, as long as they enjoy it right?!  I'm not the greatest baker, but these were good, but really hard.  I thought whoopie pies were supposed to be soft.  If that's not the case, then these were great!  Don't get me wrong, we ate every single one of these, but the cookie themselves were so crunchy, the filling kept oozing out.  They may not be the prettiest eat, and certainly weren't healthy, but my girls (and I) enjoyed them!



Cookies:
2 sticks softened butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon imitation butter flavor
1 egg
2 cups cake flour
2/3 all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup colored sprinkles
More sprinkles for rolling (the little round kind)

Beat the butter and sugar on high speed for about 5 minutes or until fluffy. Add the vanilla, butter flavor, and egg. Beat until well combined. Sift in the flours, soda, and salt. Mix to combine. Stir in the sprinkles. Chill the dough. If you're in a hurry, throw in in the freezer. I put it in a gallon ziploc bag and pounded it down flat so it would get cold faster. Preheat the oven to 375º. Take a small piece of the dough, dip in the sprinkles and roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until the sheet is filled. Bake about 7 minutes. Keep the remaining dough in the freezer while the other are baking. They will flatten out as the bake and puff up a little when they're done. Sandwich cooled cookies together with filling if desired (recipe below).

Filling:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 sticks cold butter, chopped into small cubes
2 tablespoons sprinkles (I used the little round ones)


Beat the cream and vanilla until slightly thickened. Beat in the powdered sugar until thick and smooth. Beat in about one fourth of the cold butter cubes at a time on high speed. Beat for about 10 minutes on high speed in your stand mixer until smooth. Don't be afraid if it looks weird at first. Just keep beating! Fold in the sprinkles. Use to fill cooled cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment