Monday, May 26, 2014

#1,257: Pizza Balls


Oh my goodness, did my family LOVE this recipe.  I used 2 cans of Grands buttermilk biscuits and this made enough for them to eat for dinner one day and for lunch again the next day.  (I got 15 biscuits squished into the pan).  They took a lot longer to cook though because of the Grands size.  I had to cover them with foil loosely half-way through so the tops wouldn't burn.  Didn't matter to my family though because the devoured them.  I made most with just ground turkey, but a few had pieces of pepperoni for my 5 year old.  :) 

The original recipe for this was supposed to be for bacon cheeseburger balls, but my husband wouldn't have eaten them.  So I just changed them to be pizza flavor.  Here is the link to the original recipe for bacon cheeseburger balls.

Here's how I made these pizza balls:


2 cans of Grands biscuits
1/2 cup (or slightly more) shredded mozzarella
3/4 -1 lb ground turkey (or beef)

1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves, minced garlic
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 jar pizza sauce
2 egg whites, beaten
parmesan cheese, grated

Additional filling: black olives, diced peppers, diced tomatoes, pepperoni, etc.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a pan cook the onion and ground turkey until cooked through and no longer pink.  When ground meat is done, add in garlic, Italian seasoning and pizza sauce.  Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, until heated through.  Add in mozzarella and stir to combine.  You can also add in any additional filling ingredients at this point.  Stir well to combine all ingredients.

Flatten refrigerator biscuits and top them with about 1 heaping tablespoon of the meat mixture/filling.  I put as much filling as I could without breaking the biscuit as I tried to close it.  Gather the edges up around the toppings and pinch together at the top. Place the pizza balls into a greased pie pan with the seam on the bottom. Brush the tops with a beaten egg white.  Sprinkle the tops with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the dough is cooked through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment