Sunday, May 18, 2014

#1,252: Picadillo


I don't know what this recipe means, or how it got it's odd name, but I like it!  Granted I left off the olives so that would completely change the flavor, but I still like it.  I'm going to be eating this over kale and shaved brussel sprouts, but this would be really good over rice or on potatoes too.  Or just as is (like I'm sure it's intended to be!).


3 lbs ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 tablespoon ghee 
2 small onions, chopped 
4 cloves, garlic crushed 
½ cup beef stock 
4 chopped tomatoes (I used a can of petite diced)
2 tbsp tomato paste 
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped 
1 bell pepper, chopped (I omitted...but will add in next time!) 
½ lb pitted green olives 
(I omitted) 
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 tsp dried basil 
1 tsp cumin 
Salt and pepper just before serving

Heat ghee over medium in a heavy pan and saute onions for 5 minutes or until translucent.  Turn heat to medium high, add the garlic and the meat. Brown the meat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the onions and garlic don’t burn.  Place meat, garlic and onions in the slow cooker with all the other ingredients, except the olives.  Cook on low 6-8 hours. Add olives in the last hour of cooking. Salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment