Sunday, October 6, 2013

#1,099: Sweet Potato Sloppy Joes


Our family loves sloppy joes.  I'll admit, I love my mom and husband's grandma's recipes because it calls for brown sugar, mustard and worchestershire sauce.  I love quadrupling the sauce.  So this recipe scared me a little bit because there really wasn't much "sauce" to it.  I felt like I had to add some sort of liquid/paste, so I added some canned pumpkin.  :)  Not exactly the "sauce" I was going for but it was mushy and an added veggie.  Personally, I love this!  I tried giving it to my kids but they thought it was too spicy with the jalapeno and I have to agree with them...but that's only because we don't like heat in our food.  None of them liked this (or would even try it) with the sweet potato so I gave them just the ground meat.  And no one had any idea there was pumpkin in this! 

2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
16oz ground beef
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 tbsps tomato paste
2 tbsps yellow mustard
I added about 1/3 cup of canned pumpkin


Brush the sweet potatoes with olive oil, prick the skin a few times then dust with sea salt. Place on a baking tray at bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until soft inside, crispy outside.

While the sweet potato is roasting, prepare the sloppy joe mix by add the onion, garlic, jalapeno and beef to a skillet or large saucepan. Gently fry until the beef has browned and broken up into small chunks.

Stir in the tomato paste and mustard. Let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes over a low heat.

Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways and scoop out the soft filling (I set this aside and mashed with butter to serve separately). Spoon the sloppy joe mixture into the empty potato shells. Serve immediately and top with grated cheddar cheese for extra goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment