Sunday, February 21, 2016

Grey Dinosaur Play Dough

I made some home made play dough for my students this week to go with our dinosaur unit.  I make play dough for them most weeks, but I generally make a kool-aid scented play dough or a soft play dough with some cornstarch added.  This time I wanted it to be more dinosaur like so I added some grey liquid water colors and coffee grounds.  Matthew (my 3 year old) is really enjoying playing with this with his own toy dinosaurs.  I really wanted to use brown liquid water colors, but didn't have any on hand.  I could have made my own from old markers, but I just wanted to get this crossed off my to-do list!

PS...my students are loving this play dough!  

3 cups water
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cups flour
2 tbsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 c salt
3-4 tbsp coffee grounds (mine were unused grounds)
2-3 tbsp of grey liquid water colors (or more to desired color)

In a large sauce pan combine the water and vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat until boiling.  Turn off heat and add liquid water colors.  Stir to combine.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, cream of tartar and coffee grounds.

Add the water mixture to the flour mixture and mix/knead until smooth.  


No comments:

Post a Comment