Sunday, February 21, 2016

#1,774:Greek Gyro Meatballs



If I was told to name one last meal, I'd have a long hard debate with myself if I wanted something mexican (soft corn tacos please!) or gyros.  My 9 year old not only looks like me, but she has my love for gyros as well (it's often her birthday dinner request).  So when I found this recipe for gryo meatballs I was intrigued!  

I made them last week...and I'm enjoying them so much, I made them again this week for my lunches as well.  This would be awesome with homemade tzatziki sauce, but I bought a jarred kind because I was being lazy.  The original recipe says to serve these in lettuce wraps, but I ate this as is and then again chopped on top of my salad.  Both ways were good.  

1 lb. extra lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 T Greek seasoning (I made my own)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
olive oil, for brushing grill pan
1 large head iceberg lettuce
Tzatziki sauce, about 3/4 cup (homemade or store bought)
3/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes

Put the ground beef into a bowl, add the onions and spices.  Mix well.  Form into tablespoon sized meatballs (you should get about 20). 

Brush a stove-top grill pan or frying pan with olive oil, then heat the pan over medium high heat and cook the meatballs, turning often, until they are well browned and completely cooked through (about 10-12 minutes.) 

Cut out the core of the lettuce and cut the lettuce head into two halves, then break the leaves apart, making each lettuce cup out of two leaves.  Put three meatballs into each lettuce cup, top with Tzatziki sauce, and sprinkle over chopped tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment