Saturday, April 14, 2018

#2,698: Blueberry Banana Bread




I had some blueberries in my freezer (from last summer!) that I wanted to use up, so I decided to find a recipe to use them in along with the bananas getting over-ripe on my counter.  I made this recipe quickly this morning and my kids LOVED it.  It's going to make a great, quick breakfast for them for a few day this week. 

This is super moist, and there is a wonderful sweet crunch from the sugar that was added to the edges and dusted the inside of the pan.  I missed the step about adding it to the top because I had 3 kids in the kitchen with me distracting me. Next time I'm definitely going to add that. Thankfully I saw that there was supposed to be cinnamon in this, and I added it right to the batter. 

This is going to be a great recipe to make in the summer when blueberries are in season!  
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 overripe bananas
2 large eggs
7 tablespoons buttermilk milk (I used 2% with a splash of vinegar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x5x3” loaf pan with butter and coat it with sugar. (You do this like you would grease and flour a pan. Grease it first, then add about 2 tablespoons sugar to the pan and move the pan side to side until the bottom and sides are coated with sugar.)

Cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar with a hand mixer. Set aside.

Add bananas, eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, and baking soda to a blender jar and blend until smooth.

Pour half the banana mixture into the butter mixture with 1 cup of flour. Mix with hand mixer until just incorporated, then add the remaining banana mixture and flour. Mix until just incorporated. Stir in blueberries (I threw mine in frozen). Pour into prepared pan.

I got distracted by the kids (stupid multi-tasking!) and added the cinnamon to the batter and then missed this step.  Whatever...it was still good! Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.

Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. The edges will be a dark brown and there will be a nice crack down the center.

Cool completely before removing loaf from pan and slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment