Sunday, April 8, 2018

#2,695: Carrot Cake Banana Bread


One of my favorite places to go in the grocery store (when I actually step foot into a grocery store thanks to Walmart's Pick Up service!), is the clearance section.  I never know what I'm going to find and what deals I'll be able to snag.  Recently I was able to get a box of carrot cake mix for 50 cents.  So I've been trying to think of a way to health-ify it so I can give it to my family (preferably as some sort of breakfast food).  When I saw the 2 very ripe bananas on my counter, I knew someone had to have combined the two, and a quick Google search led me to this recipe.  Thankfully I had an extra banana waiting to be used up in my freezer, so I was good to go on whipping this one up.

Matthew wouldn't even try this because "It has carrots in it.  I can see them!".  The girls and I however loved this.  It is super moist!  I love the addition of the coconut in it too....the girls didn't seem to notice that it was in there.  


1 package (15.25 ounces) carrot cake mix, dry
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used coconut oil) 
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (I omitted)
1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for topping (optional)

Optional Cream Cheese Spread (I did NOT make this)
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.

In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients until combined and a batter forms. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Top with additional coconut if desired. 

Bake the bread for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and allow to completely cool.  Once cooled, slice and serve with sweet cream cheese spread if desired.

If desired: While the bread cools, whip together the ingredients for the spread until smooth. Cover and until ready to use and refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment