Sunday, March 12, 2017

#1,878: Baked Zucchini Fries


As I was flipping through one of my Family Circle magazines, the very last page had a recipe for baked squash fries on that not only looked good, but it looked easy and a little different.  This recipe used hot almond milk instead of eggs (you could use eggs though), and had flax seeds and almond flour.  All of these are ingredients that I have on hand.  The recipe calls for using zucchini and yellow squash, but I am not a big fan of yellow squash so I just used the zucchini.  The breading didn't totally coat every piece, and fell off a little bit, BUT it was delicious.  That could have been partially my laziness though because instead of placing the breading mixtures in shallow bowls as the directions state, I threw them in Ziploc bags and just shook it all together.  I do not have time to bread each piece when it's just me eating it.  I'm OK with imperfections!  :)

 Even Allison (10) thought they looked good and asked to try it.  (She thought it was eggplant which is why she asked, but she enjoyed it even knowing it was zucchini).  These were so good, I'm not only making them again for lunch today, but I'm putting zucchini on my grocery list again.  YUM! 

Serves 4
1 tbsp olive oil (I used my Misto)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/3 c almond flour
1/4 c Parmesan
1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 1/4 c hot almond milk (or 2 eggs, whisked)
1 zucchini cut into matchsticks
1 yellow squash, cut into matchsticks

Heat oven to 350.  Lightly oil a baking sheet with 1/2 tbsp olive oil.

Combine sea salt, pepper, almond flour, and Parmesan in a shallow bowl. 

Place flaxseed mixture in a separate shallow bowl.

Dip each squash stick in flaxseed mixture, then lightly shake off excess.  Transfer to flour mixture and turn until lightly coated. 

Place squash fries on prepared cookie sheet and drizzle with remaining olive oil (I sprayed the tops with my Misto).

Bake 10 minutes, then turn over and bake another 10 minutes.  Fries should be golden brown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment