Saturday, June 18, 2016

#1,812: Lasagna Bread


I was honestly not sure my family would totally enjoy this recipe, but they proved me wrong (once again) and went ga-ga for it!  Honestly, this is super good.  I was a little nervous about the ricotta mixture making this too soggy, but it didn't.  I also only made half of a loaf initially, and had to make the other half because my family was eating this so quickly.  That is a very good sign!  I would (and will) definitely make this again for my group. 

1 large loaf of French bread 
olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste (I omitted)
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper
1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
6 oz fresh mozzarella
fresh basil, torn (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for a minute or two. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, thyme, and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Stir together, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, egg yolk and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.  Set aside. 

Heat oven to 375F. Cut French bread in half lengthwise. Pull out some of the bread from the center of each half, creating a well for the meat mixture.  Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven until lightly toasted, just a few minutes.

Spread the ricotta mixture over the toasted bread. Top with the meat mixture, then a layer of fresh mozzarella. Bake until golden and bubbly, 15-18 minutes. Top with fresh basil, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment