Sunday, May 22, 2016

#1,797: Tamale meatballs

I had super high hopes for this recipe, but I had to admit, I didn't love this.  I liked it, and if you told me I had to eat it I would, but I certainly will not be voluntarily making this again.  Chloe ate one thinking it was a regular meatball (which she likes) and wasn't a fan of this either.  Not bad, just not great.  Maybe if you baked these in the oven, and not in a crockpot they would be better because they would have a little crispy/crusty coating to it.  I didn't like these enough to give them a second try. 

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1½ cups cornmeal
¾ cup tomato juice
½ cup flour
4 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt

Sauce
5 cups tomato juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt

In a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients. Form into balls the size of a golf ball. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.

Combine the tomato juice, chili powder and salt. Pour over the tamale balls.

Cook in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours, or until cooked through. Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment