Sunday, April 23, 2017

#1,888: Crockpot Hamburger Soup/Stew

Busy working mom, looking for super simple, healthy lunch ideas.  Yep, that's me.  And as much as I love to cook, I just don't have a ton of time to commit to being in the kitchen anymore.  (Hangs head in disbelief and sadness)  When I came across this recipe (and had everything on hand except for the sweet potato), I knew it was one I desperately wanted to try.  

Although a little bland, I actually did like this.  It definitely needs more seasoning though!  Italian seasoning, fresh herbs, I don't know what, but add whatever you love to this dish.  :)  Besides that though, it has great potential.  Except next time I'm omitting the celery because I just don't love it.  I might substitute zucchini instead...  ???
2 lbs grass-fed ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 lb white sweet potatoes or potatoes, chopped 
42.5 ounces diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
Handful fresh parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp pepper

Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Drain grease.Add ground meat to the slow cooker along with all other ingredients.  Stir to mix well.  Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6 hours or until potatoes are soft.

If you want to make this more of a soup than stew all you need to do is add in 2 cups of low-sodium beef broth.  (I definitely added some broth which gave it a little more flavor and helped it cook faster!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment