Sunday, April 23, 2017

#1,885: Easy Orange Glazed Meatballs


I was looking for a quick, easy, little-fuss recipe to make for an upcoming party and came across this recipe.  I was a little leery of trying it because it had so few ingredients but decided to try it anyways.  I omitted the spicy pork sausage and just added a few shakes of crushed red pepper instead.  Although these aren't bad, they certainly are a bit dense.  I think this might be better if I added at least an egg to the mixture to give it more moisture.  Also, maybe some garlic too.

Instead of letting this sit in my crockpot, I let the liquid cook down on the stove top.  You definitely want to let it cook down so it is more of a thick coating/glaze.  I can't decide if I like this recipe or not.  As I eat it, I certainly enjoy it, but I don't think I love the orange aftertaste you get from it.  Yet that didn't stop me from eating another one.  I'm taking these to work tomorrow to let my co-workers try it....I'll let you know the concensus from that group.  :) 

1 pound ground spicy pork sausage
1 pound ground pork sausage
1/2 onion, diced
1 (6 ounces) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed

Combine pork sausage, spicy pork sausage, and diced onion together in a bowl using your hands. Form mixture into meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each.

Fry meatballs in a skillet over medium heat until browned and completely cooked through (15 to 20 minutes). An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

Transfer meatballs to a large bowl and add 1/2 of the orange juice concentrate; gently toss to coat, adding more if needed to completely coat.

Put meatballs in a slow cooker and add the remaining orange juice concentrate; turn on the Low setting to keep warm before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment