Saturday, September 17, 2016

#1,830: Chef John's Italian Meatballs (Review)

The first time we tried these meatballs (or a version of it) my cousin had made these for us when we visited for lunch a few weeks ago.  My girls are STILL talking about her meatballs.  :)  So I decided to make a batch myself to serve my family.  Although my hubby didn't love these as a side with spaghetti, he did enjoy it as a meatball sub.  I personally loved these and plan to make them again!  

1/3 c plain bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs)
½ c milk
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
2 eggs (I used 4 egg yolks)
¼ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (I used about ¼ cup)

Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
(I skipped this step) Soak bread crumbs in milk in a small bowl for 20 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in hot oil until translucent, about 20 minutes.

Mix beef and pork together in a large bowl. Stir onions, bread crumb mixture, eggs, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian herb seasoning, and Parmesan cheese into meat mixture with a rubber spatula until combined. Cover and refrigerate for about one hour.

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F.  Using wet hands, form meat mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Arrange onto prepared baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven until browned and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.  Once cooked, add to your prepared tomato sauce for 1-2 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment