Saturday, September 10, 2016

#1,828: High Protein Chocolate Banana Bread

A friend/co-worker of mine gave the girls some of her over-ripe bananas and the girls immediately asked me if I would make them some banana bread.  Of course I was happy to oblige, but wanted to see if I could find a recipe that was a little healthier, had less sugar, AND had more protein in it.  I came across this recipe and figured it couldn't hurt to try it since I had all of the ingredients on hand.  The kids really liked this recipe!  I liked that it has so much protein in it.  I would definitely make this again.  

1 1/2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 egg whites
2 tbsp vanilla greek yogurt
1/3 cup oats
I also added about 1/4 c wheat bran and 2 tbsp flax seeds
Optional: 1/3 cup chocolate chips

For topping: (I omitted all of these ingredients)
1/3 cup oats
2 tbsp brown sugar
drizzling of honey
sprinkling of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and then in a medium size bowl combine the protein powder, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, oats, flax seed and wheat bran.   In a separate bowl, combine the bananas, egg whites, and greek yogurt, and mix well.  Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until moistened.  Add the chocolate chips if desired. 
Spray a bread pan with nonstick spray, then pour mixed ingredients into the pan.

Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.  (I baked mine for 30 minutes and it was pretty dark…I may have over cooked it a little). 


No comments:

Post a Comment