Sunday, September 3, 2017

#2,001: Yellow Squash Chocolate Chunk Bread


I received 2 huge yellow squash from a student of mine, so I have been on the hunt for different squash recipes to make for my kids.  I found this recipe which called for zucchini and suggested making it in muffin form, but I'm too lazy for that and wanted to make it into a bread/loaf instead.  So I subbed the zucchini for yellow squash and I baked it in an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.  This bread was super moist, and my kids loved it.  They ate it for 2 days in a row for breakfast, and as soon as it was gone I made another batch.  Next time I should just double the recipe and freeze one for later in the week.  This was seriously fantastic!  I used dark chocolate chunks, but I think mini chocolate chips would be good too because it would be incorporated more.  Either way, this is a keeper recipe!  

 1 cup all purpose flour
 1/2 cup oatmeal
 1/3 cup brown sugar
 1/3 cup granulated sugar
 2 tsp baking powder
 1/4 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp salt
 1 tsp cinnamon
 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
 2 cups shredded zucchini, (I used yellow squash)
 2 eggs, lightly beaten
 1/3 cup canola oil
  
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oatmeal, brown and granulated sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in chocolate chunks. In a separate mixer bowl, incorporate zucchini, eggs, and oil until well blended. Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients.

(I skipped this step and put into a greased loaf pan instead.  I baked mine at 350 degrees for 42 minutes).  Distribute into paper lined cupcake tray, place in oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment