Sunday, September 3, 2017

#2,003: Fig Newton Smoothie


The town we live in has an insane amount of restaurants, that continues to expand.  However the one "food"-ish chain we cannot get to come here is a Trader Joe's!  The closest one to us is almost 2 hours away.  On a recent visit to my sister, I stopped to stock up on a bunch of things before heading home, and found a great deal on some sweet looking figs.  So I got a box hoping to get my kids to eat them.  No such luck...they didn't like the taste and/or texture of it.  I knew I wouldn't be able to eat them fast enough so I quartered them and popped them in the freezer.  I've been enjoying half of a fig in my smoothie every morning (time to road trip back to another TJ's!), and wanted to see if I could get my kids to like the figs in a fig newtwon-inspired smoothie!  Shockingly, one kid loved it (not the one I thought), but 2 were not big fans.  I thought it was good though, and will probably make a halved recipe for the kid who did like it.  This is a recipe that could easily be prepped the night before and then just blended in the morning to make morning breakfasts easier and faster.  

2-3 figs 
1/2 cup Almond Milk, or coconut milk
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 cup Ice cubes
1/2 whole Banana
1 Tbsp Almond Butter
1/4 cup Grain-Free Granola (I used unsweetened shredded coconut instead)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tbsp Granulated Honey
1 pinch ground Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Chia Seeds, optional (I omitted)

Blend ingredients and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment