Friday, July 7, 2017

#1,993: Mexican Street Corn Salad


So I am having a slight (TMI) issue with corn so I really had to avoid this recipe unfortunately.  But I still made it for my family and made sure to get their reviews/take on this dish.  When I first served it they all thought it was just ok....then it sat in the fridge overnight and it got MUCH better reviews.  My family all agrees, the longer this sits and the flavors blend, the better it is.  Good to know.  :)  We served this as a side dish to burgers, they ate it with tortilla chips, and some threw it on top of their burrito bowls.  As you can see, this dish is super versatile!  Yes, I will definitely make this again!
Also, I looked all over for cotija cheese and couldn't find it, so I subbed out feta.  Cotija would have been better!  (I just didn't have time to run to an authentic grocery store).

Dressing
½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 Tbsp lime juice 
1 tsp honey 
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp cumin

Salad
Splash of oil
4 ears corn about 3 cups, shucked and kernels removed
1 clove garlic minced
2 Tbsp lime juice 
¼ tsp salt
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
½ cup chopped red onion 
½ cup packed fresh cilantro chopped
½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled, can sub feta

Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside.

Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large saute pan then add garlic and corn. Cook about 15 minutes, flipping frequently, until corn begins to char a bit. Gently toss with lime juice and salt.

In a large bowl, combine corn mix, black beans, pepper, onion, cilantro, and cheese. Drizzle sauce over and serve either warm or cold. Perfect over tacos, as a chip dip, or by itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment