Friday, June 18, 2010

Too ugly to post on Three Cooking Mama's : )

I LOVE freezer cooking meals and I so want to do a freezer cooking day at least once, if not twice this summer!  A friend of mine let me borrow her 30 Day Gourmet Freezer Cooking book and before I start making some of the recipes (because there are a ton we would potentially like!) I want to try them first.  Tonight I made "Supper on a Bun."  It was the ugliest thing I've ever made but the absolute easiest recipe.  And it didn't taste too bad.  Think meatloaf on a hamburger bun, or in our case, hot dog bun.  : )  Appealing right??  Don't knock it until you try it.  Brian and I each gave this 3.5 stars.  Not something I'd like all the time, but definitely an easy meal that would be perfect to make on a weeknight.

Supper on a Bun (makes 16 open faced hamburger buns)
1 c evaporated milk (I used fat free)
1 1/2 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 c oatmeal or crushed crackers (I used oatmeal, but ground it in the blender first so Brian wouldn't notice)
1 egg
1/2 c chopped onion (I used dried, minced onion--a few shakes)
1 tbsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
8 hamburger buns or 1 loaf of french bread cut open to make 2 halves
Cheese (any prefered, optional)

Since this recipe was for 1 1/2 lb ground meat and I only had 1 lb, I just used a little less of all the other ingredients. 

Combine all ingredients.  Place open hamburger buns (or in our case hot dog buns b/c that's what we had!) or split french bread on a cookie sheet.  Spread 2-3 tbsp onto each bun (or half of mixture on each side of french bread).  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  If desired, top with cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes. 

Try it...let me know what you think.  And don't say I didn't warn you, it isn't a glamourous meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment