Sunday, March 4, 2018

#2,684: Instant Pot Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon


I've made this recipe three times now since I originally found it.  Personally I think it's easier to make this separately and not all in the instant pot.  I use my griddle to cook up a pound of bacon, and I only use what I need and save the rest for another time.  In a saute pan I cook the onions and mushrooms, and then in the instant pot I cook the green beans.  I don't know if I'd boil or steam green beans in a pot again.  I am always hit or miss if they turn out or not.  Sometimes they are perfectly cooked, and other times they are over cooked.  But each time I make them in my Instant Pot I end up eating all of them and they are cooked perfectly!  In fact, I'm making this again for dinner tonight!  

1 pound fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed (while fresh green beans are best, frozen will work in a pinch)
6 ounces bacon, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
splash of balsamic vinegar
sea salt and pepper, to taste

Place green beans in inner pot of pressure cooker.  Add enough water to barely cover the beans.  Put on the lid of your cooker, checking that the seals and all components are in good shape, including being in the sealing position.  Set to high for 1 to 2 minutes (fresh green beans) or 3 to 4 minutes (frozen green beans).

Once cycle is complete, hit the cancel button and allow pot to do a quick pressure release.
Drain green beans into a colander.  Set aside.

Turn pressure cooker to Saute function, or put stove-top cooker over medium heat.
Add bacon.  Let fat render.  Add onions and garlic.  Add mushrooms a little later, in time for them to get soft, but before bacon is too crispy.  Once bacon is crispy, onions are translucent, and mushrooms are soft turn your Instant Pot off and add the green beans back to the cooker.  Add a splash with vinegar and stir to combine.  Season to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment