Friday, July 30, 2010

A year of new recipes...my newest "plan"

I got inspired by two things...my love of cooking and wanting to try new recipes and the movie Julie and Julia.  As I thought about the hundred of recipes I have book marked online, saved in files, cut out of magazines, and book marked in cookbooks, I realized that I want to start trying as many new recipes as possible and then either saving or tossing the ones I've collected.  My first plan was to make 1 new recipe every day for the next year just like Julie in the movie.  But I don't have the funds to do that.

My next plan was do make 3 new recipes a week (I could probably afford that since most of the things I make are far from gourmet), but let's be honest, who's going to eat these new meals/snacks/treats?  ME.  And we all know that I don't need to be eating extra calories. 

So to do what I want and be realistic about it, I've decided to embark on 1 new recipe a week for the next year.  This could be a total bust and fizzle out after the first month.  I hope it doesn't come to that.  And with 2 book clubs that I'm in each month I could easily make/bring one of the recipes to each of those. 

This is making me very excited...I hope this works and continues for the next 52 weeks. 

So here is my first recipe:
Cherry Chocolate Chip Walnut Cake Cookies

1 box devils food cake mix
2 eggs
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c apple sauce
1/4 c chopped maraschino cherries
1/3 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients and drop by rounded spoonful on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake 375 degrees for 9 minutes.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute before transfering to a wire rack. 

My verdict:  YUM.  I Loved them.  I made these for Allison to give to her teachers at daycare on her last day and quite a few (okay close to a dozen) didn't make it on the plate.  This combined 3 of my favorite things...chocolate, cherries and walnuts.  I will definitely make these again!

2 comments:

  1. I loved, loved, loved this movie too and got inspired too. However, I didn't take to challenging myself. :) Good for you and I will check back often for yummies! Are you still doing the South Beach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no not really doing south beach anymore. I couldn't afford to do it!! I'm kind of half-a$$ing doing anything right now. I did join a gym though so that's promising! ; )

    ReplyDelete